New Evidence-based Treatments of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS) and Fibromyalgia (FM)
Description: Lecture Goals:
- Understand how to diagnose CFS/FM
- Understand what associated conditions are seen with these conditions
- Understand the multi-system pathophysiology seen with CFS/FM
- Review the literature on effective multi-system treatments of CFS/FM
New Evidence-based diagnosis and treatment of thyroid disorders
Description: Lecture goals:
- Understand the differ forms of hypothyroidism, including autoimmune, primary, secondary, tertiary and thyroid resistance syndromes and the relative frequency seen with each
- Understand how to diagnose the different types of hypothyroidism
- Understand how immune dysfunction can result in hypothyroidism.
- Understand how chronic illness effects thyroid levels in the body and how the pituitary often responds differently than other tissues in the body
- Understand the impact of decrease cellular thyroid transport and what conditions are associated with reduced cellular thyroid transport
Kent Holtorf, M.D. is the medical director of the Holtorf Medical Group and the nation-wide Holtorf Medical Group Affiliate Centers. Dr. Holtorf is also the medical director of the non-profit National Academy of Hypothyroidism; fellowship lecturer for ABAAM; The Endocrinology Expert for AOL Health and founding director of the non-profit Bioidentical Hormone Initiative and Chief Medical Officer of ITL Pharmaceuticals.
Dr. Holtorf has published a number of peer-reviewed endocrine reviews, including on the safety and efficacy of bioidentical hormones, inaccuracies of standard thyroid testing, testosterone replacement for men and women, the diagnosis and treatment of growth hormone deficiency and on the diagnosis and treatment of HPA axis dysfunction in chronic fatigue syndrome and fibromyalgia. He is also a reviewer for the journal Endocrine, Postgraduate Medicine and Pharmacy Practice.